But is swaddling it safe?
The Benefits of Swaddling Your Baby
- quieter sleep
- decreased spontaneous arousals during sleep
- a decrease in excessive crying for babies up to 6 weeks of age
- improved neuromuscular development in very low birth weight babies
- decreased physiologic and behavioral distress for babies prematurely
- improved calming and sleep for infants exposed to addictive substances in utero
Safe Swaddling Tips
- a swaddled baby should only be placed to sleep on his back and never on his side or stomach
- remove loose bedding and toys from the bed
- ensure the baby will not overheat
- once your baby has begun rolling you should stop swaddling
- babies older than 6 months should not be swaddled
Clients often joke about what witchcraft I have used when their fussy baby is finally being put down for naps and staying asleep for more than 5 minutes!
"If you choose to swaddle your baby, make sure that you follow a safe swaddling technique. The airway should be clear and enough room should be left for the legs to move. Stop swaddling when your baby shows signs of rolling over".